Monday, October 19, 2009

Food Tips


Photo: Creative Commons License by clairity

Some random food tips My niece wanted to bake something today, and wondered if the baking powder was too old. Here's how to test it: Place 1 teaspoon baking powder in a cup. Add 1/3 cup HOT tap water. If it bubbles, it is okay to use. If you are uncertain, make your own in a pinch. Mix 3 parts cream of tartar and 1 part baking soda. It works just fine.

I've been collecting random tips concerning food for eons, it seems. Of course they are not all in one place and easy to find when I need them so I thought I'd start posting along a few tips here.

If you need a square of unsweetened chocolate, you can substitute 3 tablespoons cocoa powder mixed with 1 tablespoon of butter or vegetable oil.

Here's one of my favorites... I love bananas. I'm opposed to buying them because of the cost of shipping them thousands of miles, and I choose to eat local when I can. Never-the-less, I sometimes break down and buy a few bananas if I can find them fairly green and unbruised. I dislike the taste of fully ripe bananas, but if you separate the bunch when you get them home, the individual bananas will not ripen as fast as if left in a 'hand' of bananas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.