Monday, May 3, 2010
Quick Bernaise Sauce
I love artichokes, and I really love this quick and easy Blender Bernaise Sauce to dip the leaves in for tasty eating. Variations of this sauce recipe are all over the internet, and I have used it for years. No fear of this sauce 'breaking'!!
This sauce is also great for steaks, roast beef and beef fondue.
(Sorry there is no photo of adding the butter to the blender. That takes 2 hands and no one was home to take pictures for me.)
Blender Bernaise Recipe
1/4 cup white wine
2 Tbs tarragon vinegar
2 Tbs finely chopped shallot or onion
1/8 tsp white pepper
2 Tbs tarragon leaves (preferably fresh, but dried will do)
1 Tbs chervil (optional)
1 sprig fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes (optional)
4 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 cup real butter
1. Combine wine, vinegar, and herbs in the top of a double boiler. (I use a skillet on low)
2. Cook until reduced by half.
3. Mixture will be very concentrated; COOL.
4. Have ready in your blender; above mixture, egg yolks and salt.
5. Blend about 5 seconds.
6. Melt butter in a saucepan until bubbling, but DO NOT BURN.
7. Remove center stopper from blender cap.
8. Turn blender motor on HIGH; Pour HOT butter through opening in blender cap in a steady stream while motor is running, about 30 seconds.
9. The sauce should finish about the consistency of thin mayonnaise
10. If not, blend on HIGH another 5 seconds.
11. NOTE: Butter will be very hot and will cook the egg yolks, so you don't have to worry about eating raw eggs.
12. Serve immediately, or you can keep warm by placing blender container in warm water. (I let mine cool, and refrigerate any leftover. It doesn't keep long, so use it up quickly.)
Excellent on steak or roast beef. An especially good sauce for beef fondue. YUM.