Monday, June 29, 2009

Gooseberry Fool


As promised, I made the Gooseberry Fool today although there were only a small amount of gooseberries this first year growing them in my garden. I only had a very few of the tart green gooseberries so I added them to the sweeter red ones. The resulting Fool was a delightful blend of sweet/tart!


Rinse, drain and 'Top and Tail' the berries. Place them in a pan with a pat of butter; cook over low heat 5 minutes or so, until the berries are soft.


Mash the berries with the back of a spoon (I used a flat stainless steel masher) and add some honey or sugar to taste. Set aside to cool thoroughly.


Whip the cream until firm (I added a bit of sugar), and fold into the cooled berries.

Chill thoroughly before serving.

Gooseberry Fool Recipe 1 pound gooseberries 1 oz. butter Honey or sugar to taste ½ pt. whipping cream Top and tail the berries, rinse and drain, and place in a pan with the butter. Cook the berries over low heat about 5 minutes or so, just to soften the berries. Mash the softened berries with the back of a wooden spoon. Season with sweetener to taste. Whip the cream until firm and fold it into the berries. Chill well before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.