Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Cravings

Photo by 

We've probably all gone through cravings as we've cleaned up our diets. A big one for me was the craving for sugary sweets, but eventually that went away. Same with carbonated sodas, caffeine, alcohol, and cigarettes. All addictions, with some harder to give up than others.

But, I think our bodies tell us when we are lacking in something, and that's different than the cravings we have for things that are addictive but not good for our bodies and basic health.

For about 3 weeks now I have craved grapefruit, and I finally realized it's my body's attempt to get back to a good pH balance. Most of our American diets are strong in acidic pH foods rather than a balanced pH. 

Although most folks think of citrus (oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit) as acidic, in fact once in our systems they are alkaline. I'm speaking of fresh fruits here; concentrated fruit juices and processed fruits are NOT alkaline.

Over the course of 3 weeks of eating a whole grapefruit every day, the craving is almost gone and I feel a lot better!

2 comments:

  1. I've had that grapefruit thing too. It's actually supposed to be too sweet for me, but I never had it start sweet cravings. So this would explain why. But it's been quite a while, probably a year, since I've had any. But that picture of them sure looked mighty good.... :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't start sweet cravings for me either.

      I need to look further into alkaline foods to keep a better pH balance in my system.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.