Monday, August 15, 2011

Friends Pay it Forward!


Thanks to the generosity of a dear friend, I now have a new 22 cu. ft. refrigerator! (New to me anyway; it's 6-7 years old.) What it means is that now I can keep on hand a larger quantity of milk for making cheese, rather than making a separate 60 mile round-trip for milk every time I want to make cheese. 

I have been sharing the house refrigerator with my sister and her 23 year old daughter, allowing me space for only 2 gallon jugs of milk in addition to my normal refrigerated stuff. Now I can easily store 6-8 gallons.

I had to drive to North Carolina to fetch it, a 2 hour drive across the mountain from here, but well worth my time and gas. I had thought to use it either as a second cheese cave, or more likely a curing chamber for sausages and other charcuterie (which cannot go in the cheese cave due to potential cross-contamination of cultures)... but it is one inch too wide to fit in the root cellar. 

It's really too large for my cramped living quarters too (I had to put it in the small room that I use as the "office"), but it will do... and the price was right: she paid it forward!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I know you're going to love it!

    What's happening with those goats or miniature Jerseys??

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I love it already!

    The neighbor who said she was interested in breeding her Nubian does, and looking at mini Jersey's with me seems no longer interested... or at least she never returned my calls.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.