Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bresaola, traditional cured beef


I was SO pleased with my first small trial bresaola using a piece of venison that I decided to risk a 3 pound beef eye round roast. I'm afraid if I don't start it now, the root cellar could get too warm for a proper cure since we're headed into spring and warmer days.

I won't have much to report for several weeks, but I thought I'd show you the start. Starting now it cures (bagged) in the refrigerator for a week or more, then gets wrapped and hung in the root cellar. I used the cure from Ruhlman's Charcuterie and added some black pepper, fresh rosemary and thyme for flavoring. I just made a small cheese wheel with thyme and it smells great, so I thought I'd try thyme in a bresaola. (The cheese won't be ready to taste for a month. Ugh.)

I really want to start a dry cured salami before it gets too warm too, but it will have to wait until next month when I can afford the bacterial starter and the casing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.