Friday, December 11, 2009

Religious holidays

December brings many different religious celebrations, some familiar and some not. If we are to survive globally, we should have a respect for other people, their culture, and their religious beliefs, just as we expect them to respect ours.

Here's a look at the first one on my list, Hanukkah.


Jews all over the world will begin celebrating Hanukkah at sundown, Dec. 12. The celebration, often called the Festival of Lights, is a celebration of the victory Judah Macabee and the small Jewish army won over the Syrian/Greek forces 2,000 years ago in a fight for religious freedom, and the miracle of the oil used for the lamps in the desecrated temple.


The oil found in a small jar was only enough to last one day, and the miracle was that it lasted for the entire 8 days it took to fetch in more oil.




Happy Hannukah to my Jewish friends!

1 comment:

  1. Hahahahaha...KungJew. I love it. Finally found the link to your blog again. I am glad to see you are cooking up a storm still.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.