Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Homemade Extracts and Salad Vinegars

I lucked out on a bag of Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Beans on Amazon, 1/2 pound for about $25 including shipping. There were over 60 bean pods in the bag, which I split with a friend. That's a great price, considering vanilla beans in the grocery stores run around $10 for 3 pods. Even the natural food stores where I buy bulk herbs want $2 per bean pod.


The first order of business was to start some homemade vanilla extract. I used 6 bean pods, split open, cut in half, and put into a pint bottle of vodka. The recipe called for just 3 beans but I wanted a stout double-vanilla. The vodka already smells like vanilla after just a few days, but I will continue to let it steep in a dark closet for 3 months before using. The remaining beans are in double zip-lock bags in the refrigerator. A few will be placed in granulated cane sugar to make vanilla sugar for dessert toppings. (But not much, as I don't eat much sugar if I can avoid it.)


Being on a roll, I also started some orange extract. I zested 2 navel oranges and covered the zest with 2/3 cup of vodka. I should make more since I use a lot of orange flavoring, but that was all the oranges I had on hand.



The chives circling one of my guilds are in full bloom, so I started some chive blossom vinegar. No measurements... I simply filled a pint canning jar with blossoms (stems cut flush to the flowers) and poured hot champagne vinegar over them. (Be sure to soak the blossoms in water for a few minutes to dislodge any tiny critters.) They will steep a couple of weeks and then I'll strain out the blossoms. Small jars of this vinegar are a lovely deep pink and make nice gifts!

I have more herbal salad vinegars in mind to make as soon as I can afford more champagne vinegar in gallon jugs.

4 comments:

  1. That was a good deal. And home made vanilla is far superior to store bought.

    I was wondering last night, as I lay awake listening to an hours long thunderstorm, just what I could do with all the chive blossoms. Does it have to be champagne vinegar? I have some rice, apple cider, and non-organic white I use for cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I use champagne vinegar because it is slighhtly milder, at least to my taste buds. ACV might overpower the chive blossoms, but think rice vinegar would be just fine.

      Delete
  2. Got a jar of chive blossoms and rice vinegar started yesterday and dehydrated 1/3 of a jar of chives for winter use while I was at it. So we will see how rice vinegar works....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! The more I think about using rice vinegar (which is more widely available than champagne vinegar), the more I think you couldn't tell the difference in the finished product.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.