Monday, April 26, 2010

epiphany

For a long time now, I have been struggling to understand what all the many food additives really are, and how harmful each is to the human body. It has been a real epiphany for me to finally realize I don’t have any reason whatsoever to know and understand them!

If a food is not a single-food item (such as carrots, onions, or chicken) but comes in a box with other stuff added to it, I simply do not buy it.

Do you see any labels on celery, apples, or pork chops listing all the ingredients? No, because they are Real Food and do not need additives to improve the bottom line for some manufacturer. If something is called a food, but requires a label to tell me what all has been added, it isn’t real food.

So now, if it has a label, I just don’t buy it. Simple, eh?

4 comments:

  1. I think you are on track to becoming the wise woman you aspire! Simple philosophy...if you can't pronounce it don't eat it! But yours is even better, don't buy anything with a label. I like that! I popped in via Dave's garden article on straw bale gardening. Thinking of trying it. It seems doable and very simple. Plus I hate weeding! I have studied self-sufficiency for years and just now getting around to practicing. Hubby soon to retire and now "into" alternative health after wasting much money with conventional dr's. too much info I know but I will pop in from time to time. I have a blog but it is currently locked. Will have to add your e-mail for you to comment. Thanks for the great article over at Dave's garden and congrats on your weight loss achievements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. I regret that it is like my grandfather always said, "Too soon old, too late smart."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know how right you are. How I make part of my living, I represent or have represented hundreds of cos. You would be amazed the lengths they ALL go to to hide the truth and trick their customers. There isn't one single co whose label I would trust...if it has a label it is probably just a sticker full of lies, anyhow. Like store-bought organic spinach--yeah, hydroponic, organic-by-neglect spinach, barely even green with no flavor. If it has a label or I don't know where it came from, I don't eat it...sounds like a healthy new plan! o.o ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input. There's far too much 'greenwashing' going on everywhere, label or not. My 'plan' seems to be working, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.