Monday, September 10, 2012

Winter squash 2012

Winter Squash 2012

This year I grew a couple of winter squash varieties that are new to me, Red Kuri (also known as the French Potimaron squash), and Spaghetti squash. It was a bad year for my garden, between the drought and high summer temps, so I'm okay with the scant harvest.  The vines are all cut down now (except one) so this is the sum total of my winter squash.

The orange squash in the photo are Red Kuri and the long white one is a spaghetti squash. I only got 2 spaghetti squash off 4 plants, and one of those split and got buggy. Even with just one edible squash, the price of the seed packet was less than half of the price of one spaghetti squash in the stores.

Also in the wheelbarrow are what I didn't plant, and they are not volunteers either, since they were in new garden areas.

On the right are 2 white acorn squash, and there's still one on the vine. They are not seeds I ordered, so they must have been in a mislabeled or mixed seeds packet. The two pale yellow orbs at the bottom of the photo are unknown but look more like a melon of some sort to me, althogh it has been suggested they could also be immature spaghetti squash. They possibly came from the same mis-marked or mixed seed packet. All came from a reputable heirloom seed supplier.

The spaghetti squash is not a long-keeper in the root cellar, but the Red Kuri and the Acorns should keep for several months. Plenty of squash for just me!


6 comments:

  1. Maybe those mystery squash are cross pollinated from the seed farm. I've got some real odd squash from last year so I decided to get new seeds for my banana squash and I'm getting miniature squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the seeds were cross-pollinated by the grower/seed farmer. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Your test to prove I'm not a robot is getting just ridiculous. Three tries to figure out the puzzle. I'll probably quit commenting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis, I have NO control over that aspect, it's all done by Google Blogger. My only option is to allow all comments without review, and those got very nasty when I first started this blog.

      Delete
    2. I set mine to moderated. I have to approve comments before they become visible, but since I don't get very many it's not a hardship.

      Delete
    3. Actually I agree with Dennis in that I leave fewer comments on other blogs simply because Blogger has made it more difficult. It often takes me 2-3 tries to "qualify" for not being a robot. Frustrating.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.