Saturday, May 28, 2011

Life Expectancy of saved garden seeds

Wax Bean Seed photo by dyogi

If, like me, you are thinking of saving vegetable seeds for a future garden, here's some info about shelf life. Within these time frames, stored seed will remain viable, although germination rates may decline a little.

Typical seed life if stored in cool, dry conditions:

5 years

Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cabbage
Chinese Cabbage
Celery
Chicory
Corn Salad (Mache)
Cress (both garden cress and watercress)
Kale
Kohlrabi
Lettuce
Muskmelons
Radish
Spinach

4 years
Beet
Fennel
Mustard
Pumpkin
Rutabaga
Squash (both summer and winter varieties)
Swiss chard
Tomato
Turnip
Watermelon

3 years
Asparagus
Beans
Carrot
Chervil
Cowpea
Leek
Pea
Sorrel

2 years
Corn
Dandelion
Okra
Pepper
Salsify (black)

1 year
Onion
Parsley
Parsnip
Salsify

Source: Knott’s Handbook for Vegetable Gardeners, 1980 ed.

5 comments:

  1. Most last a lot longer than that (except onion and parsnip... infamously short life. Chives too.. from your own saved seed 2 years but any longer and there is loss of germination. Parsnip also is low germination rate to start with.. as is rosemary.)

    Problem is purchased seed is not necessarily fresh seeds. As long as they pass their germination testing, they get stamped with a "sell by" date of well over a year past the test date.

    Also... keep out of light. Some like to display saved seeds, but light effects the seed viability.

    Sorry... I'm a seed geek. :) I'll stop now as I can prattle about this endlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, and Thanks to Anne for additional info!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, I liked your blog. I just stumbled upon your blog. What kind of seeds you’re using?
    non GMO seedsor GMO seeds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I save a lot of my own seeds so I only buy Heirloom or OP (open pollinated) seeds as a rule. I rarely buy a F1 hybrid unless it's something I REALLY want to try. I would NEVER knowingly buy GMO seeds, or GMO foods.

      I choose seed suppliers who have signed the Safe Seed Pledge http://www.councilforresponsiblegenetics.org/ViewPage.aspx?pageId=261

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.