Monday, October 11, 2010

Chestnuts


My neighbor gave me a bag of chestnuts, with more to come as they fall!

I'm not sure what all I will make with them; some will be chestnut biscotti and I have several recipes. A few will be a fresh spinach and chestnut salad, and I may even candy some.


For sure, a few will be placed in barely damp peat moss in a slightly ventilated plastic bag, and then refrigerated to plant in the spring. See the little tails on some of the nuts? I understand the nuts MUST have the tails in order to grow.

Whole chestnuts freeze well, so the rest will go in the freezer until I decide what I want to do with them. Meanwhile, I may even eat a few raw (very tasty!) and maybe roast a few. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.