Thursday, June 3, 2010

Trouble Finding Local Pastured Meat?

In an earlier post regarding sources for local grass-fed or pastured meat, I lamented the few listings I could find for my area on EatWild and Local Harvest although they both list numerous sources across the country. AnimalVegetableMineral.com also has some links.

The USDA has completed a survey to map small processing plants as part of their "Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food" initiative, part of an effort to revitalize rural economies through the promotion of local food systems. The PDF you can download
here maps general locations but not the specific name of facilities. However, on this page, there is a toll-free customer helpline as well as an email contact.

I think if you called or emailed, you could find the name of a local small salughterhouse or processor who in turn could probably link you up with a pastured-meat farmer or three nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.