Friday, September 18, 2009

RIP Mary Travers



Wednesday September 16, Mary Travers, the powerful female voice of Peter, Paul and Mary passed away at the age of 72, from complications associated with a bone marrow transplant she had several years ago after being diagnosed with leukemia.

The group's enduring songs of the 1960's protest movements brought urgency to the politics of the time, participating in voting-rights marches from Selma to Montgomery, Alabama and performing at political rallies all over this country.


I remember well songs like "If I had a Hammer", "Leaving on a Jet Plane", and "Puff, the Magic Dragon". At the time, I was a part-owner of a 30' sailing vessel of the Dragon class, and of course we named our boat
Puff!

Her passing really marks the end of an era for me, now only remembered on recorded pieces of plastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.