Thursday, December 20, 2012

William Davis, MD, on Wheat Belly

The book Wheat Belly by the Cardiologist William Davis has been on my Wish List for months now, and I have read many favorable things about the book, and the connection of modern wheat to our obesity crisis. Just yesterday I came across a series of 6 YouTube videos where he explains the basis for his book.

I thought some of you may be interested in watching them if you have a lull in this hectic holiday season. By the Way, he has a cookbook, Wheat Belly Cookbook: 150 Recipes to Help You Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health that will be released Dec. 24.
 
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

His Blog

I've been trying to eliminate a lot of wheat from my daily fare, but it's hard... wheat is IN everything! However, I have ordered some Einkorn flour to mix with almond or coconut flour for those few things I'm not yet willing to give up.

4 comments:

  1. I stopped wheat years ago, due to pain issues. And had been eating whole grains exclusively since 2001, and gaining or not losing weight. In June I started cutting back on carbs, trying to cut down on grains particularly.

    Now I know the science behind the reason, I will try harder to cut out grains. Maybe I'll lose more weight...finally.

    These videos were very interesting, particularly the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I read somewhere (in early reviews of his book) that whole grain wheat, wheat germ and even wheat brans are worse than the denuded wheat used in bread flour.

      Shame that those are high on the USDA recommended list.

      Delete
  2. I've also been wanting to read that book. We have completely eliminated wheat for a few years now, since my son develops levels of thick mucous that he can literally choke on when he eats wheat. I used rice and tapioca and barley and other kinds of flour for a time to offer us a "kind of normal" alternative. But for me, I kept putting the belly weight on with those as well. Too many carbs for my system, at least at 56. What I can use for bread like things, once in awhile, is the almond flour you mentioned - though that is expensive, and really needs to be ground fresh, as almond flour quickly goes bad. Same thing for ground flax seed. They don't give me the belly fat. And, I also use just plain psyllium husks with eggs and salt to make pancakes. It works very well, gives you a sense of "bread" but literally no carbs. Won't work for a thicker pan bread. But is great for a pancake! Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put on belly fat with most grain and nut carbs myself. Plus, I have to severely limit legumes or they do the same thing.

      I find I do best if I keep the carb count low, and only eat mostly green with just a few orange carbs.

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.