Friday, June 3, 2011

How the Ice Cream Turned out...

Photo by my friend Faye in NC

My weekend gardeners' gathering at a state park in Virginia was a LOT of fun, and the Hand Churned Ice Cream I posted about was the big hit! The grown-ups enjoyed it the most, bringing back memories and tastes of the past when foods were real.

Photo by my friend Susan in VA

The kids had fun turning the crank, but I don't think they truly appreciated the ice cream itself because they have no frame of reference for old-fashioned ice cream.




I didn't quite follow the family recipe posted in that link because later I found my mother's copy, with her notes. 

So, here's Aunt Ola's Ice Cream Recipe:


4 eggs
1½ cups sugar
2 Tbs corn starch
1 Tbs all-purpose flour
2 quarts whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
½ tsp salt
1½ tsp vanilla

Beat 4 eggs until fluffy. Mix with sugar, cornstarch and flour. Scald 1 quart of the milk; add the salt then add to the egg mixture. (The scalded quart of milk must be cooled before adding the egg mixture, or it will cook the eggs!!) Cook over low heat, stirring constantly to make the custard.

Mixture is done when it coats the sides of a spoon. Cool to room temperature.

Add the cream and the rest of the milk, and vanilla. Chill (overnight if possible), then freeze in a churn according to the manufacturer’s directions.

Ideally, you would remove the dasher after churning and put the ice cream canister in the freezer for an hour to firm up the ice cream before serving. We didn't have that luxury at the state park so we ate it on the soft side. There was a little bit of the gallon and a half left over, and I put it in the canister and packed more rock salt and ice around it in the churn until we got back to the cabin and then froze it. 

It was as good the next day... YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about my posts! We all learn together.